Dr. George McGeary arrived in Bend in 1957 as the first full-time pathologist in Central Oregon. His practice covered the hospitals in Bend, Redmond, Prineville, Madras, and for a short time, some small hospitals in Northern California. He also travelled to hospitals in John Day, Lakeview and Burns, continuing this part of his practice until full retirement in 1992.
Dr. James Howbert joined Dr. McGeary in 1968, and they started Central Oregon Pathology Consultants soon after. Dr. Howbert was Chief of Pathology for many years before his retirement in 1993. Since that time, Central Oregon Pathology Consultants has moved from its original site in St. Charles Medical Center-Bend into our new building, which includes a specimen processing center, histology, cytology, immunoperoxidase, and molecular laboratories. Since the initial two pathologists formed Central Oregon Pathology Consultants nearly 50 years ago, the group has grown to six board certified pathologists and one pathologist assistant.